I first realized that something was awry when I started getting comments on posts that have long been quiet stating that the links to various extensions were not working. Checking out the links, I found that the common element in these broken links were Elgg’s Google Groups. I logged into Developers’ group and began looking for the files finding this:
That’s it. Where there used to be scores of files, there are now a few. Checking the Users’ group. I found the same only there just one file.
Why this has happened, I have no idea. I do know one thing—there are files that can no longer be found either in the groups or the Elgg community site. It is puzzling because the oldest file in each group still exists. It appears that they were deleted. Perhaps I am missing something. If so, please set me straight!
My fear is that we are going to lose several extensions that may have been left in the groups by people who haven’t moved over to the community. Perhaps they have developed these projects and moved on to something else.
We need to find out which extensions are missing and search through our collective hard drives and repost them to the Elgg community so this body of work is not lost. Beyond that, I think we should consider a second repository just in case something goes wrong in the future. It appears that nothing can be taken for granted. I would like to hear others’ take on this issue. Also, please post the names of any extensions that you believe are missing so we can recover them.